Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scribble... Scratch that. Sweat... Scratch that... Bleed it out

Sometimes inspiration flows out of control (think Kubla Kahn). Sometimes, you have to rely on you to inspire yourself.

Sometimes it is really hard to inspire yourself.

Like right now. I couldn't even tell you how often that in order to write something, I have to... write something. ANYTHING. I have to start writing about practically nothing to get myself to write something. Often, I have to work through heaps and heaps of trash before my mind creates something remotely creative and useful.

It is interesting how this principle plays out in many parts of life. In order to have a stronger relationship with the person you love, you have to work at it. If things have been rough, in order to make them better, sometimes you just have to do.

Do something.
Show up.
Do anything.

Work your way through your problems. Don't sit and sulk. Buy her flowers Buy her chocolate. Buy her flowers AND chocolate (though honestly, you don't even have to necessarily do that - though I would suggest it). But just show up. Talk things through. It is only as awkward or unhappy as you make it.

Before we succeed at anything, we have to show we are willing to put forth an effort. God will not change my life for me. I ahve to show HIm I want change. I ahve to show Him I want change. I need to show Him desire so He can create a greater desire in me.

Doing something.
Reading His Word.
Letting Him speak.

Things do not come naturally. The only time that real love, devotion, and inspiration strike are after the time of sweat, toil, and frustration. Things only come naturally as we have made them natural through working things out.

So scribble on some paper.
Make a phone call.
And most importantly... Get on your knees.

This is Balian. That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: